Saturday, April 14, 2007

My Patron Saint...Part 2

Hymns of the St. Mary of Egypt:

Apolytikion: Plagal of the Fourth Tone
In you the image was preserved with exactness, O Mother; for taking up your cross, you did follow Christ, and by your deeds you did teach us to overlook the flesh, for it passes away, but to attend to the soul since it is immortal. Wherefore, O righteous Mary, your spirit rejoices with the Angels.

Kontakion: Second Tone
By the toils of your struggles, O God-inspired one, you did hallow the harshness of the desert. Wherefore, we glorify your memory, as we honor you with hymns, O Mary, glory of the righteous.

Glory of Psalm 140, Sunday of Saint Mary of Egypt; Great Vespers.
Tone 4

Lord, I have cried out unto Thee, hear Thou me. Hear Thou me, O Lord. Lord, I have cried out unto Thee, hear Thou me. Attend to the voice of my supplication when I cry out unto Thee. Hear Thou me. Let my prayer arise before Thee as incense, and the lifting up of my hands as the evening sacrifice. Hear Thou me. O Lord.

Glory to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Spirit.
The power of Thy Cross, O Christ, O hath done wonders; for she who had been a harlot strove in the ascetic way. Whereupon, she cast away the weakness of nature and bravely contended against Satan. Then, having achieved the prize of victory, she doth intercede for our souls.

From this source.

Troparion, Tone 8

In thee, O Mother, was exactly preserved that which was according to the divine image. For thou didst take the cross and follow Christ, and by thy life didst teach us to ignore the flesh, since it is transitory, but to care for the soul as an immortal thing. Therefore, thy spirit, O holy Mary, rejoices with the Angels.

Kontakion, Tone 4

Having escaped the fog of sin and having illumined thy heart with the light of penitence, O glorious one, thou didst come to Christ and didst offer to Him His immaculate and holy Mother as a merciful intercessor. Hence thou hast found remission of transgressions, and with the Angels thou ever rejoicest.
From this source.

No comments: